Jess's Reviews > The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are

The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown

Dec 19, 11

I raced out to buy this book after being moved by Brown's TED talk on vulnerability. Unlike the engaging, personable talk that dug its claws into my sense of self, the book is too 'self-helpy' for me. It's structured poorly and doesn't 'dig deep' enough on the anecdotes that need to support this work. Brown frequently references her breakdown/spiritual awakening, but it's almost like she can't practice what she preaches by failing to give us the warts and all version of events. That would fine if she didn't suggest the book was a memoir that covered that time. All that said, there are some very useful tips on how to restructure our thoughts and approach to life to be more 'whole hearted' and having the headings of each signpost nearby to reference frequently will undoubtably help to keep much of her good work top of mind.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gifts of Imperfection.