Rachel's Reviews > Mistborn

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy

** spoiler alert ** This book was fantastic. The world, creatures, and magic system of Mistborn is well thought-out and organized. It's also pretty violent, but the gore wasn't described in too much detail to sicken me.
The characters were, for the most part, interesting and unique. Kelsier, of course, had the most defined personality and reasoning, although Vin was a close second.

My only real problem with this book did relate to her, though. See, Vin is careful, sneaky, distrusting. She immediately thinks of everyone as having underhanded motives for their actions. This, in and of itself, is not a problem, and is in fact very understandable given her circumstances. However, when she begins to play the part of Valette Renoux and in enters Elend... well, she likes him and trusts him immediately. It seems out of character for her, and although I can understand why their relationship is necessary for the remainder of the trilogy, I have a hard time believing that she fell instantly in love with him. This girl who was trained to hate people? I don't buy it. I can keep going under the assumption that she is still skeptical at first and later comes to understand him, but... the second problem was when she balled like a baby at his 'rejection' of her. It was, again, out of character, at least as far as her previous actions would lead me to believe.

However, I really did love this book, and the foreshadowing in it, for things that happen in the final book, show just how amazingly careful Sanderson was in writing it. I just wish the kandra had played into it more earlier on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistborn.