Ruth's Reviews > Priestess of the Nile

Priestess of the Nile by Veronica  Scott

Jan 27, 12

bookshelves: highland-medieval-tudor-ancient, historical-romance, net_galley, adventure-fantasy
Read from January 25 to 27, 2012

This one I received through netgalley was quite different from anything else I've read. I had quite a few issues, but there was something about it that I really liked, that saved it somewhat.

What I wasn't so keen on:

- The writing wasn't particularly good. I wanted to be able to feel that this story was set by the Nile, with the sights, sounds and smells described. I wanted to feel I was there. There really was none of that, and I felt it would have made a good use of word count to spend some time on really squeezing every ounce of description out of a great setting.

- The steamy bits were a bit terse and rather formulaic. Also, the whole heroine-losing-her-virginity bit was not convincing. I personally reckon all authors should be required to read this piece on Smart Bitches. It says what I mean. Honestly, the poor girl's apparently feeling a tad sore, and he goes at her at least twice after popping the cherry? Can't he just give her a rest?!! OK. I feel better for that rant now..

What I like:

- This is a very unique setting, with a unique plot. I guess some might classify it as paranormal, but it's not, it's definitely mythological and I really, really enjoyed that. I loved that this author chose to write a story in a setting which is so very different. It works incredibly well.

- The hero is a god. Now normally, this means paranormal, but no the author has taken the myths of Egypt and created a convincing hero from one of them. I loved this.

- The plot is resolved well. OK. It was kinda obvious, but I like how it was resolved as much as the resolution itself. (Make sense?)

Basically, the writing was not as flowing or lucid as the story deserved. It's the River Nile, in Ancient Egypt, for crying out loud! The writing should be ethereal, other-worldly, descriptive. I wanted to smell the food and hear the sounds of boats working on the Nile, carrying the exotic and expensive and mundane up and down the river. I didn't.

So, 2 stars. It was OK. Great story though, and I LOVED the setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Priestess of the Nile.