Nicholas's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You

The Sandman, Vol. 5 by Neil Gaiman

Jan 04, 15

bookshelves: fantasy, graphic-novels, 1990-1999, mythology, gritty, dark-fantasy, own, favorites, 6-stars, 7-stars, 2014-graphic-novels
Read on October 31, 2014

Absolutely my favorite so far.

"In the pale light of the moon I play the game of you.

Whoever I am.

Whoever you are.

All sense of where I am, of who I am and where I'm going, has been swallowed by the dark. And I walk through the stars and sky."

Taps heavily into the paradoxical conundrum of the differences between reality and dreaming.

"Is this real? Or is it just my imagination?

If you tell me what the difference is, I might be able to tell you."

And it speaks volumes about identity. Self-worth, not letting the real-world define your parameters.

“And if there's a moral there, I don't know what it is, save maybe that we should take our goodbyes whenever we can.”
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 5.

Quotes Nicholas Liked

Neil Gaiman
“Everybody has a secret world inside of them. I mean everybody. All of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody — no matter how dull and boring they are on the outside. Inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds... Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe.”

Neil Gaiman
“You know what the really scary thing about bad dreams? It's that something's going on in your head, and you can't control it. I mean, It's like there's these bad worlds inside you. But it's just you... it's like you're betraying yourself.”

Neil Gaiman
“In the pale light of the Moon I play the game of you. Whoever I am. Whoever you are. All sense of where I am, of who I am and where I’m going, has been swallowed by the dark. And I walk through the stars and sky... a trinity of dreams beneath the moon.”

Neil Gaiman
“We write our names in the sand, and then the waves roll in and wash them away.”

10/31/2014
70.0% ""Is this real? Or is it just my imagination?" "If you tell me what the difference is, I might be able to tell you.""