Kurt's Reviews > The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's Are One

The World Is Blue by Sylvia A. Earle

Dec 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: environment, nature, non-fiction, science
Read from March 01 to 09, 2012

The natural world needs spokespeople to stand up to the interests that have abused it in our modern industrial society. We all contribute to that abuse, some a little bit more than others, but very few people really fight the fight that is needed to make even a little positive contribution. Sylvia Earle is probably the leading and most successful fighter for the health of our planet's oceans. Her book is very eye opening as it describes the importance of the oceans and their ecosystems in sustaining life everywhere. We take oxygen for granted, we take fresh water for granted, we take seafood for granted, we take the carbon and nitrogen cycles for granted; but without our oceans none of these things would possible, and living things would not even be able to exist here. It's time that we start respecting the oceans.

Our near and distant predecessors might be forgiven for exterminating the last woolly mammoth, the ultimate dodo, the final sea cow, and the last living monk seal for lack of understanding the consequences of their actions. But who will forgive us if we fail to learn from past and present experiences, to forge new values, new relationships, a new level of respect for the natural systems that keep us alive?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World Is Blue.