Amber Calkins's Reviews > The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Dec 19, 2011

bookshelves: my-library-shelf, childhood-favorites, read-in-2012, audibubble, on-the-silver-screen, classiques, witchcraft, read-in-2015
Recommended for: Everrone with a soul
Read from February 05 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I grew up with the Judy Garland Wonderful Wizard of Oz film, and in fifth grade, The Emerald City of Oz was one of my favorite books, but yet, I had had never read the original, the one that started it all, until now. And I found it delightful.

It reads very much like a fairytale, as it was intended. The only reason I give it four stars is that, ashamedly, I think that for the most part, the MGM version has improved upon it. Dorothy and her friends do an awful lot of travelling, which is detailed by interactions with strange and wonderful creatures who, mostly, do not help her along her way at all.

As all books-gone-movie, there are the little gems in the book that people don't know about, and for me, these were things like the Tim Woodman's story, the Golden Cap, and the special glasses all entrants into the Emerald City must wear. While Oz is not intended for adults, it should be read to children - America's own fairytale, and is certainly to set the imagination spinning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Quotes Amber Liked

L. Frank Baum
“If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with.”
L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

02/05/2012 page 37
24.0% "Oh, the Tin Woodman's story is rather sad. :-("
02/05/2012 page 50
32.0% "I can see where this could be an easy one-shot read."
05/08/2015 marked as: currently-reading