Susan Anderson's Reviews > Dreaming of the Bones

Dreaming of the Bones by Deborah Crombie

Jan 17, 2012

bookshelves: british-mystery, mystery
Read from January 02 to 17, 2012

This is not a proper review, only my random thoughts as a reader having just finished Dreaming of the Bones by Deborah Crombie. In my mind, there's a difference between reader ramblings and book review. And also, I just finished listening to the unabridged audible version. I haven't actually cast my eyes upon the words. (That begs the question, "What is a book?" but the answer to that is a mighty one and for another day.)

You know, I really love Deborah Crombie's writing and DREAMING OF THE BONES exceeded my expectations.

I'm not going to get into the intricacies of its plot except to say that it involves Victoria McClellan, Kincaid's ex, who asks him to investigate the mysterious death of the poet Lydia Brooke and the effect that investigation has on all the characters. So that's the still point of the turning novel, at least in the beginning: Kincaid and current lover, Gemma James, pitted against the relationship between Kincaid and Vic. And I like the time Crombie takes with the tangled emotions between and within those three characters. Right there we have opportunity for interior conflict, nice and juicy, and the possibility of growth. Another murder deepens the emotions, ups the stakes. More characters with common history add to the conflict and plot complexity.

And in this book there are lots of relationships going on—the living with the living, the living with the dead, the dead with the dead, walking forward, stepping back, lots of backstory interleaved, having words, characters conflicted or not, being loving together or not. And a child's emotions, too. Add to this mix the poetry of Rupert Brooke (There is a rumour and a radiance of wings above my head ... ) All of that percolating while the who-done-it goes on. Oh, it's a delicious stew. I gobbled it up, totally. Sad to see it end.

But one thing I have to say is that I guessed the perp. Doesn't happen very often but it didn't spoil the book for me at all. I think there was a strong clue about 75% of the way through, I won't tell you what form it took, but I didn't know until the very end that I was right.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming of the Bones.

01/13/2012 page 200