Caleb's Reviews > The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Dec 19, 11

Read from December 06 to 09, 2011, read count: 2

I first read the Wizard of Oz when I was 9. I first saw the movie when I was 6, or possibly younger. Both are amazing, especially to a kid. L. Frank Baum said he set out to create a new type of 'fairy tale' that got rid of fairies and also the horrible graphic events that serve to tell a moral story. He succeeded! And not by making a story where happy friends do whatever they want with no consequences. Though everything works out in the end, the way only a story can do, the characters have trials and struggles and their own building of character (even when they don't realize it).

The book is surprisingly short -- 130 pages! which is perfect for kids and yet there's enough there to keep us interested. And like all fairy tales, Hollywood decided to edit a bunch and leave a lot of things out for the movie, so if your only understanding of Oz is from the movie, I highly recommend reading the book. The movie is good, and amazing for its time, but the book has a lot more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.