Erin's Reviews > It Happened One Autumn

It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas

5 STARS!!

In my opinion, 'It Happened One Autumn' was far better then the first book in the Wallflower series 'Secrets of a Summer night'.
To be honest, Lillian didn't appeal to me in the first novel. But by god, she was amazing in this one. She made me laugh and I respected her.
She wasn't afraid to go out and do what she wanted-even if it wasn't what 'the ton' would approve of.
By the way, Lillian drunk is just awesome! Example of drunkness:

“He slitted his eyes open and squeezed them shut again as he saw her finger intruding deeper into the bottle. "Grows..."he forced himself to continue, "until the fruit is ripe."

"They do? That is the cleverest...a pear in its own little...oh no."

"What?" Marcus asked through clenched teeth.

"My finger's stuck."

Dumbfounded, he looked down at the sight of Lillian tugging on her imprisoned finger.

"I can't get it out," she said.

"Just pull at it."

"It hurts. It's throbbing."

"Pull harder."

"I can't! It's truly stuck. I need something to make it slippery. Do you have some sort of lubricant nearby?"

"No."

"Not anything?"

"Much as it may surprise you, we've never needed lubricant in the library before now.”

Marcus...Marcus...Marcus...In my bed NOW!
He came off as stiff and proper. Disapproving of The wallflowers...Mainly Lillian, to be honest. He reveals to the readers that he had always been attracted to Lillian, but felt that nothing would have come of it...LITTLE DID HE KNOW!!
Marcus aka Lord Westcliff proved himself to me in this novel. Let's just say, I'd do him. Yes, Erin, Nice a classy as usual...
ANYWAY, This book made me Laugh so many times...I kinda skipped art class to read it... WEll, I WAS in Art class just not doing any work, and recieving death glares from the teacher. (ahhh, good times)
Lisa Kleypas keeps making me like her even more, and making me want to rush to a shop and buy her books. It's not fair I tell you!!

The Romance was the aces! Lillian and Marcus try so hard not to be together, but at the same time all they want to do is be together.
Their romance and chemistry is a sucker punch. They had no clue what was up ahead.

(view spoiler)

Okay! Main things for you to take away from this review.
1) Lillian is the bees knees!
2) Marcus is the sex...
3) The sex outta marriage thing is seriously hot in historicals :P
4) Romance= Epic... Basically they belong together!
5)Humor= It has been graced with being put into my 'Shits n' giggles' Shelf...consider it funny.

Love, love, love the wallflowers and am super excited to read Evie's book!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Happened One Autumn.

Quotes Erin Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“There is nothing on earth more beautiful to me than your smile...no sound sweeter than your laughter...no pleasure greater than holding you in my arms. I realized today that I could never live without you, stubborn little hellion that you are. In this life and the next, you’re my only hope of happiness. Tell me, Lillian, dearest love...how can you have reached so far inside my heart?”

Lisa Kleypas
“I can't get it out," she said.

"Just pull at it."

"It hurts. It's throbbing."

"Pull harder."

"No."

"Not anything?"

Lisa Kleypas
“Annabelle, what happened to you?” Lillian asked the next morning. “You look dreadful. Why aren’t you wearing your riding habit? I thought you were going to try out the jumping course this morning. And why did you disappear
so suddenly last night? It’s not like you to simply vanish without saying—”

“I didn’t have a choice in the matter,” Annabelle said testily, folding her fingers around the delicate bowl of a porcelain teacup. Looking pale and exhausted, her blue eyes ringed with dark shadows, she swallowed a mouthful of heavily sweetened tea before continuing. “It was that blasted perfume of yours—as soon as he caught one whiff of it, he went berserk.”

Shocked, Lillian tried to take in the information, her stomach plummeting. “It… it had an effect on Westcliff, then?” she managed to ask.

“Good Lord, not Lord Westcliff.” Annabelle rubbed her weary eyes. “He couldn’t have cared less what I smelled like. It was my husband who went completely mad. After he caught the scent of that stuff, he dragged me up to our room and…well, suffice it to say, Mr. Hunt kept me awake all night. All night ,” she repeated in sullen emphasis, and drank deeply of the tea.

“Doing what?” Daisy asked blankly.

Lillian, who was feeling a rush of relief that Lord Westcliff had not been attracted to Annabelle while she
was wearing the perfume, gave her younger sister a derisive glance. “What do you think they were doing? Playing a few hands of Find-the-Lady?”

Lisa Kleypas
“You know,” she said dreamily, passing over his question, “you’re not nearly as handsome as Lord St.Vincent.”

“There’s a surprise,” he said dryly.

“But for some reason,” she continued, “I never want to kiss him the way I do you.” It was a good thing that she had closed her eyes, for if she had seen his expression, she might not have continued. “There is something about you that makes me feel terribly wicked. You make me want to do shocking things. Maybe it’s because you’re so proper. Your necktie is never crooked, and your shoes are always shiny. And your shirts are so starchy. Sometimes when I look at you, I want to tear off all your buttons. Or set your trousers on fire.”

Lisa Kleypas
“If you won’t marry me for the sake of your own honor, then do it for the sake of everyone who would have to tolerate me otherwise. Marry me because I need someone who will help me to laugh at myself. Because someone has to teach me how to whistle. Marry me, Lillian… because I have the most irresistible fascination for your ears.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Close your eyes,” Marcus said, his hand moving to her bottom in a circling caress. He brushed his mouth over her forehead and her fragile eyelids. “Rest. You’ll need to regain your strength… because once we’re married, I won’t be able to leave you alone. I’ll want to love you every hour, every minute of the day.” He nestled her more closely against him. “There is nothing on earth more beautiful to me than your smile… no sound sweeter than your laughter… no pleasure greater than holding you in my arms. I realized today that I could never live without you, stubborn little hellion that you are. In this life and the next, you’re my only hope of happiness. Tell me, Lillian, dearest love… how can you have reached so far inside my heart?” He paused to kiss her damp silken skin… and smiled as the wisp of a feminine snore broke the peaceful silence.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Fear you?" she said without thinking. "Good God, I would never do that."

Easing her head back, Westcliff looked at her while a slow smile spread across his face. "No, you wouldn't," he agreed. "You'd spit in the devil's eye if it suited you.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Because you need me," he said, drawing in his breath as she squirmed against him. "Just as I need you." He crushed his mouth to hers. "I've needed you for years." Another kiss, this one deep and drugging, his tongue searching her intimately”

Lisa Kleypas
“It wasn't a meaningless act for me either," Marcus said, his raspy whisper tickling her ear. "Yesterday I finally realized that all the things that I thought were wrong about you were actually the things I enjoyed most. I don't give a damn what you do, so long as it pleases you. Run barefoot on the front lawn. Eat pudding with your fingers. Tell me to go to hell as often as you like. I want you just as you are. After all, you're the only woman aside from my sisters who has ever dared to tell me to my face that I'm an arrogant ass. How could I resist you?" His mouth moved to the soft cushion of her cheek. "My dearest Lillian," he whispered, easing her head back to kiss her eyelids. "If I had the gift of poetry, I would shower you with sonnets. But words have always been difficult for me when my feelings are strongest. And there is one word in particular that I can't bring myself to say to you...'goodbye'. I couldn't bear the sight of you walking away from me. If you won't marry me for the sake of your honor, then do it for the sake of everyone who would have to tolerate me otherwise. Marry me because I need someone who will help me to laught at myself. Because someone has to teach me how to whistle. Marry me, Lillian...because I have the most irresistable fascination for your ears.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Oh, Daisy, it's revolting the way I want to fawn all over him. I'm afraid I'm going to do something dreadfully silly today. Burst into song or something. For God's sake, don't let me.”