Eileen's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

7208929
Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, borrowed, romance, young-adult
Read on December 29, 2011

First of all, I can't help but gush at this amazingly wonderful cover! It's one of the huge reasons that I was dying to read this book so badly. The other reason was because there was so much buzz surrounding this book, that I had to go out and get it. But it was mainly because I absolutely love this cover. :) It just goes to show, some people DO judge a book by its cover.

I really liked the whole concept of this book, since I never thought of a dystopian world like that. I always envisioned it as a dictatorship, with that dictatorship starting to fall from grace and resort to desperate measures, making the citizens suffer. In this case, the dictatorship is absent, but the world is still falling apart. I think the way Lauren envisioned it was creative.

I really loved Rhine in this book. Rhine seemed so strong and determined, no matter what was thrown in her path. Of course, the fact that Linden was really in love with Rhine and she wanted no part of him made it harder for me to come to the terms that Rhine was going to escape no matter what, but I can understand. The other characters in this book were also really well developed.

I've basically just told you I loved everything about the book, so why not a full five instead of four? The answer's simple. I got confused in some parts, because there were flashbacks and then I didn't know if we were still in the flashback or in the present, or if we were in a dream or in reality. That was the only thing.

Also, I was super-psyched to get cracking on this book, and I was a little disappointed. For some weird reason, I just wasn't drawn to the book that much. Maybe it's because I've been reading all week non-stop, and it gets tiring. Maybe it's just my opinion. But I just wanted to get it out there. (Never trust me after I've been reading for more than ten hours straight. I tend to get really cranky and picky, just so you know)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.