Emanuela ~plastic duck~'s Reviews > Critic's Choice

Critic's Choice by Josh Lanyon

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: rainbow-gay, glbt, paranormal
Read on March 31, 2012

Often, when I read Josh Lanyon's books, I feel like I'm in a movie, so I really felt comfortable at the beginning. Cris, the movie critic, and Rey, the director, meet for the first time after splitting due to Rey's cheating. They are at the house of a secluded actor for the shooting of the commentary of an old movie. Their meeting is awkward, and the whole situation slowly becomes as spooky as a clichéd horror movie: broken cars, fallen trees, eerie lights in the woods. Everything seems to conjure to keep the two men together, to make them consider a second chance. Cris, the one who was betrayed, is the one who has to decipher Rey's intention and choose if he can trust the other man, the only one who made him feel loved and safe, again.

In this story Chance's intervention seems less obvious and it seems his place is taken by the enigmatic Angelo Faust. The way Rey breaks through Cris' defenses despite what happened in their past is simply beautiful. Even if Cris is afraid of being hurt and therefore he seems almost pathetic at times, taking a chance on Rey might be the most courageous thing he has to do in his life.

Other People's Weddings is still my favorite, but this one is great too.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Critic's Choice.