Anne's Reviews > Nightwoods

Nightwoods by Charles Frazier

Dec 24, 11

Read from December 19 to 24, 2011

Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain, while an amazing story, was a little slow-moving for my taste. So, I've been hesitant since to read any of his other novels. But this one looked short, so I thought I'd check it out. Then a friend told me she found it a bit slow, and I got scared again. But, I'm glad I read it. The subject matter is difficult and reminiscent of one of my favorite novels (in a visceral - wow - now this is the power of literature - kind of favorite), Bastard Out of Carolina. The main character, Luce, is on her own in the mountains (sound familiar?), but has recently been joined by the non-speaking twins of her murdered sister. As Luce adjusts to life with little ones to care for - in particular little ones who are not in an emotional space to give back in any loving kind of way, the story of her isolation unfolds. There were chapters or pages I read where my only reaction was, "what the hell is the point of this? Will this EVER end?" and there were others I read where my reaction was "what the hell is the point of this? Who cares, this is some amazing storytelling!" The overall narrative is tension-filled, and I feared a violent climax. I wouldn't say I found the book "enjoyable" - the subject matter is too raw and brutal. But this is a GOOD book. The writing is rich, the storytelling is gripping, and the characters are real. I'm a new believer in the power of Charles Frazier, and plan to go back and read his second novel, Thirteen Moons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightwoods.