Alan's Reviews > The Devil's Company

The Devil's Company by David Liss

Dec 28, 2011

it was ok
Read from December 19 to 27, 2011

Two stars might be a bit harsh, although looking at what Goodreads translates 2 stars to be ("It was OK"), that's exactly how I would describe this book.

It was reasonably entertaining, but I'm not big into books written in the style of 18th/19th century novels (it interferes with any kind of momentum the author tries to build). As for the plot, the "twists" were very predictable and the main character was not incredibly likable. In fact, I didn't find any of the characters in the book very likable. When you don't particularly care if any of the characters in the book achieve their goals, it's kind of difficult for the book to captivate a reader.

I'm not sorry I read it, but I won't be recommending it to my friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Company.

12/19/2011 "I'm about 50 pages in, and so far it's reasonably entertaining. I have a hard time reading books (like this one) that are written so that they sound like novels written in the 18th and 19th century. The language and dialogue always feels so restrained, dull, and passive. So far the premise is interesting enough for me to keep reading, but the book is unlikely to earn a 5 star rating from me."