An Odd1's Reviews > A Monstrous Regiment of Women

A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King

Dec 19, 2011

Read from December 19, 2011 to January 07, 2012

The title "Monstrous Regiment of Women" is the vast pool of females deprived of men by WW1 and of importance by peace. Hero Mary Russell gains her full inheritance, feels uncomfortable with Holmes' former comrade-mentor relationship, and investigates charismatic suffragette sect Temple leader Margery. Research was extensive, on feminism lost in biblical translations, and desperate conditions of 1920s British females. I admire author King's talent for conveying ambience of Doyle's era - astonished, absolutely amazed, and avaricious for more.

Rant:
I was suspicious after one death of wealthy volunteer, let alone three, and attempted fourth. I did not like the miracle healing, added nothing positive, hinted at Doyle's fascination with supernatural after son's death, detracted from tangible troubles.

I'm always skeptical of plot devices such as twins and disguises. Having twin siblings, I know identical twins look and sound unique. A few glimpses of an actor, and I recognize, despite changes - hair, face, costume, age, accent, context, even mother-daughter Annette Crosbie - Selina Griffiths. In heavy alien guise, I hear Christopher Heyerdahl grunt as Sanctuary taciturn Biggie, rasp as Stargate Atlantis wraith Todd, be humanoid as respective John Druitt and Halling. Add 3D and full senses - height, walk, voice, scent - in person, deception is difficult. An author who can convince us otherwise? Special.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monstrous Regiment of Women.

12/19/2011
100.0% "Russell gains full inheritance, feels uncomfortable with former comrade Holmes, investigates charismatic suffragette sect Temple leader Margery. I was suspicious after one death of wealthy volunteer, now three?"