Iva's Reviews > A Match Made in High School

A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: comedy, ya, romance, contemporary
Recommended for: fans of hilarious YA fiction books and maybe those who loved The Duff
Read from December 19 to 20, 2011

I loved this one! The fact that I read this book last night in 4 hours proves it enough.
Somehow I'm into YA but with humor. It cracks and me up and lights up my mood. I practically DIED of so much laughing at some points. Note: the stories about Uncle Tommy were THE BEST!! LOLOLOL
Now, the Marriage Education program for seniors was a great idea for a book. Original and promising a great plot.
The author gave us a lot of couples and "outsiders" but it all clicked in the whole story. Although some may think it's too much, I actually liked it.
Now to spice it for those who haven't read this, I'll say that Fiona and Todd, the main characters, do not end up together. I LOVED that. Usually, I like a book with the whole "opposites attract" but here we don't have that, and it made the book all the more realistic.
The main character is named Fiona. Omg, how I hate that name. All throughout the book, I pictured the Fiona from Shrek. gahh. And I just hated her so much at the half of the book - she acted like the biggest, most selfish and insensitive bitch in the history of YA. But she figured out her mistakes with the help of a little girl - Sam. And I must add that Fiona CAN BE a bitch but she is strong and confident (well, for the most part) and all that bitchiness is just her way of life, not caring what everyone else thought (again, for the most part).

I don't think ANYONE can hate Sam. She's this cute girl Fiona babysits and with parents who want a divorce. In all the mess of her life, she didn't judge anyone and unselfishly forgave her friend; unconditionally loved Fiona and everyone. You CAN NOT not love her.

Now Todd was a strange case. He actually liked fighting with Fiona but... :D I won't tell you. I'll just say that some people may not like him through the book. But he's a good and caring friend. Nice - when he's not fooling around.

Marcie and Johnny are also a great part of the book and I liked them both. Marcie as a friend and Jonathan as the quiet music lover wearing Doc Martens(!).

This book may be totally hilarious but there is a big serious character development here. So it's a great plus.
There are a lot of good things about this book I could discuss but it would take me the whole day. It's just that it's one of the best books I read lately. I hope I'll like Seven Clues to Winning You

EDIT: And oh, I forgot about Gabe. Ugh, I hate him. A total asshole. 'Nuff said.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Match Made in High School.

Quotes Iva Liked

Kristin Walker
“I guess what I’m trying to say is, you just can’t tell who you’re going to end up with. You might spend your whole life dreaming about one type of person, only to find happiness with somebody completely different. Someone you figured you had nothing in common with just might turn out to be your dream guy. And you know he’s your dream guy because you become a better person. He brings out all these great things in you that you never knew or believed were there. And if you’re really lucky you do the same for him. It makes it even more incredible that people find each other, considering most of them are looking in the wrong places to begin with.”
tags: love

Kristin Walker
“I"d done more apologizing in the past week than a politician with a crack pipe and a sex addiction.”
tags: fiona

Kristin Walker
“So I wonder if true love is more subtle. If it sneaks up or stands there next to you, and you don't recognize that it's true love until you turn and look at tis thing that's been right there with you all along, and you realize that you never want to be without it.”

Kristin Walker
“It makes it even more incredible that people find each other, considering most of them are looking in the wrong places to begin with.”

Kristin Walker
“If I was Todd's wife in real life, I'd have to kill myself. Okay, maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic. I wouldn't kill myself. But I'd definitely turn lesbian, at the very least.”
tags: fiona

12/19/2011 page 20
7.0% ""What happened to democracy? What happened to the will of the people? Apparently Principal Miller was a descendant of Mussolini." LOL!!"