Margot's Reviews > Susie Bright Presents: Three the Hard Way: Erotic Novellas by William Harrison, Greg Boyd, and Tsaurah Litzky

Susie Bright Presents by Susie Bright

Dec 19, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, romance
Read from December 19, 2011 to January 20, 2012

The novellas in Three the Hard Way were a little hit and mostly miss for me. In all three stories, the writing was excellent -- not what I was necessarily expecting from erotica -- a genre that I have not dabbled in before.

But the narrative of Tsaurah Litzky's The Motion of the Ocean felt completely fragmented. Each chapter could have been about a completely different character, if the names hadn't been the same. It didn't feel like a cohesive story, just a collection of hardly-related short stories all mashed together into an uncomfortable semblance of a novella.

Greg Boyd's The Widow was the gem of the bunch. He superbly melds two stories together: an erotic short story written by Mandy Millhouse--an unassuming but unfulfilled housewife; and the story of Mandy's husband after he discovers the first pages of her story unclaimed on the printer and begins reading along in secret, wondering what it means that the husband in her very autobiographical short story is killed off in the first few pages by an unexpected heart attack. The stories sing in harmony and really give you the unique feeling that you are glimpsing the secret and private lives of others' most intimate thoughts and moments.

William Harrison's A Shadow of a Man had some interesting elements and good characters. But the ending was a big let-down not only to the novella but for the collection.

The taste levels, too, were questionable for me and a slight turn-off to dabbling in this genre again. I'd rather stick to books like Kushiel's Dart, The Valley of Horses, and Outlander, which deliver strong emotion and character sympathy along with a good dose of romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Susie Bright Presents.