chucklesthescot's Reviews > To The Point: The No Holds Barred Autobiography

Feb 04, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: sport, true
Read from January 05 to 10, 2012

This was actually a decent book. I had followed the fortunes of the South African cricket team since they came back into international cricket and I was sickened by the match fixing linked to the team. I was angry at the players like Gibbs who had brought shame to the nation.

This book is well named. No Holds Barred. Gibbs tells his story honestly and you can see that he would have been an easy target. He talks frankly about the string of women he attracted when he got into the South African team, the excess drinking, the fact that he let the publicity and admiration go to his head. He talks about the lure of easy money dragging him into the match fixing scandal-getting paid to lose a game in a series that was already finished as a contest? Sure, why not? It meant greater financial security for his family.

I finally understood that he wasn't a bad guy. He was a young man confronted with more money than he had seen in his life and a celebrity lifestyle, the chance to raise his family financially, the chance to live the dream-but with no sense of how to cope with all the attention and the massive changes to his life. I liked his brutal honesty, accepting responsibility for his actions and showing the good and bad sides to his life. It was quite refreshing! Perhaps if he had received more guidance, he could have avoided a lot of the trouble he found himself in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To The Point.

01/09/2012 page 60
23.0% "No surprise that South Africa bottled so many vital matches with their players constantly on the piss before and during matches."