Raquel's Reviews > Prep

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

Jun 28, 07

bookshelves: fiction, books-i-hated
Read in June, 2007

You know, I started out really liking this book. I thought the writing was good, and I found myself really relating to the protagonist as I used to have many of the same tendencies (not really involving myself in things and instead just hanging out on the fringes of life). But then about halfway through, the book just turned craptastic. Of course the craptastickness involved a boy. It always does. But it just ruined the book for me. It made me just not like Lee, the main character, at all. She turned sort of pathetic for me.

All the reviews raved about how this was Catcher in the Rye from a girl's perspective. My question for them is: Have you ever actually read Catcher? Because they're nothing alike.

I write this review to save you from being sucked into the hype. Don't buy into it; there's nothing extraordinary about this book. Go watch Dead Poets Society instead. (I'm assuming you've already read Catcher in the Rye, right? Let's hope so.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prep.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree! I had the same trouble at the halfway mark. it just got too "ugh" for me.

It ain't no "Catcher in the Rye", that's for sure!

message 2: by Jeb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeb I feel exactly the same way (that I loved it until the part about the dude, and that I don't get the "Catcher in the Rye" thing) except that in retrospect, I still thought it was a really good book. But the change of tone and plot really irked me.

Isabel Did you finish the book find out Cross was a jrk and then I like lee again

message 4: by Etha (new) - rated it 1 star

Etha Williams Lee's internal life got extremely repetitive as well. One of the things that made me think it could be a fun bit of contemporary bildungsroman was that Lee seemed quite entertainingly self-aware -- but this self-awareness goes NOWHERE over the course of the novel. By age 18 she is repeating the same insights she had about herself that she had at age 14. really dull.

Aaven I think Dede cut right to the heart of the matter when she insulted Lee later on in the book: "You are exactly the same as you were when we were freshmen."