Adrienne Enriquez's Reviews > An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny

An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff

Dec 25, 11

Read from December 19 to 22, 2011

I should stop reading this type of book. I know it's supposed to make me feel good. And it's probably supposed to make me believe that one person can make a life-changing difference for another. But what I'm always left with is the sense that it is not enough. If you MUST tell me your story, can you keep that part short -- and then can we have an honest conversation about what led to the need to "save" this young man? Can we talk about the societal ills, how those came to be, and then talk about how to CHANGE THEM?

That's all. These books just leave me angry that we aren't doing more to get at the root of the problem, rather than just put band-aids on the symptoms.

On the other hand, if you like stories about how naive white women learn so much more from poor black kids ...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Invisible Thread.

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Adrienne - So sorry you did not enjoy my book, but I do appreciate that you would take the time to let Goodreads know your honest thoughts on it. Perhaps it is only a band-aid, but there is a story on our website about a man who read my book and was inspired to help a woman out with her grocery bill. He knew when her card was declined that he could not solve world hunger, but he could help pay for her groceries. Hopefully, my book will continue to inspire people to make simple gestures that can make a difference.

Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year.

Best,

Laura Schroff

Sandy Adrienne, I do understand your point about the big picture and the underlying problems in society. I think for me these kinds of stories resonate, however, because it's hard for one person to tackle those. it can feel overwhelming. It's nice to think that one person's one-on-one action can make an actual difference in one life. And from the ripples from that life can affect others. That doesn't mean we ignore the big issues, but we can celebrate these individual victories while working on the big ones.