Marie's Reviews > Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral

Jun 19, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, women, travel
Read in January, 2008

I really, really wanted to like this book. It had a great plot and premise. Annie Freeman dies of cancer, and before she dies she arranges a "traveling funeral" for her closest friends. She sends them airline tickets, rental car vouchers, and credit cards to take a journey around the country to places that gave her life meaning. In theory, it was a wonderful setting for a meaningful story about women's friendships and the journey of grief and life. I would give the idea three or four stars.

But the writing was exhausting to read. One reviewer said that it was "overwrought," and it was also overwritten. Long, runon, and flowery sentences and paragraphs, and way too much telling and not enough showing. The funeral doesn't even start until 100 pages into the book! The characters were too perfect and there was very little conflict or suspense.

I enjoyed some parts of the book--for example, the stories about their friend Annie that they uncovered along the way--but I found myself scanning great chunks of the book and anxious to reach the end so I could read a better book. Never a good sign.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral.

Tisha This is exactly how i felt...thank you for saying it better.

message 2: by Pat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pat I totally agree. I'm midway through and they've just begun their travels. And I'm so tired of hearing, on every page, how much they loved Annie. The repetition is downright boring.

MandMzmama Wow, this is exactly how I've felt and thought that it was me. I know that I'm reading a great book when I look forward to stolen moments during the day to read it. This book has sat for days at a time when I haven't remembered about it. I probably will finish it because, as a previous reviewer stated, its premise is interesting, but it's not one I'd probably read again.

Peggy Graves Exactly. Thank you. Well written.
I found myself skipping huge sections of dialogue because it was exhausting. I also had a hard time relating to these women (except maybe Rebecca who said "shit" a lot)
Glad to be thru it!

Deborah Yes, yes, yes to all of the above comments.

Marie Yes to relating to Rebecca who said "shit" a lot! Ha!

message 7: by Suzy (new) - rated it 1 star

Suzy I couldn't even finish it. don't give a wit about the characters

message 8: by Shelagh (new) - added it

Shelagh I wish I would have read these reviews before hand. I could only stomach 2 chapters at a time. I have finished it and am RELIEVED!

Ramona My favorite bra says this book was way too pretentious. The dancing rumba line at the airport--come on. Wth.