Robert Beveridge's Reviews > ttyl

ttyl by Lauren Myracle

Jul 18, 08

bookshelves: cuy-co-pub-lib, defenestrated, 2008-goal-list
Read in July, 2008

Lauren Myracle, ttyl (Amulet, 2004)

When I first heard about this book, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The very idea of an entire book written in chatspeak offended me. So I had to take a look and see if it was really as awful as I feared.

"it gets worse. cuz then rob strolls up, and i was like, 'sounds like u had a good time saturday nite. u could have called me, u know.' and tonnie goes, 'he wanted to, but i told him not to.' i said, 'oh yeah, sure,' and rob said, 'really, angie, i was punching in your number and everything, and tonnie said to bag it. She said it would just bum u out to know that we were having such a blast without you.'"
(p. 45)

What really gets me is that in school libraries across the nation, people are challenging excellent books like And Tango Makes Three for "promoting" homosexuality or Whale Talk from "promoting" bad language. No one's going after ttyl for promoting chatspeak. We have some really messed-up priorities in this country when people are completely comfortable with horning in on someone else's philosophy, but couldn't care less about their literacy. (zero)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ttyl.