Aleksandr Voinov's Reviews > Hitler's U-boat War: The Hunted 1942-1945

Hitler's U-boat War by Clay Blair Jr.
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitler's U-boat War.

message 1: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov :)

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways *THIS* one should be fun!

message 3: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov LOL - "fun"? Yeah, I want to write a book about each of the German "Waffengattungen" in WWII. Air Force (Luftwaffe), Army (Wehrmacht), and the Navy (Kriegsmarine), too. They'll take forever, though, because of the research involved.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Submarine sex = instant erection. Just sayin'

message 5: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Ah, another fan of "Das Boot"? :)

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Aleksandr wrote: "Ah, another fan of "Das Boot"? :)"

To quote Jayne Cobb from the late, lamented TV show "Firefly", as he watches two female characters retire to have sex in private: "I'll be in my bunk."

message 7: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Oleg - I'm happy that there are so many steel-and-sweat kinksters out there. :)

"I KNOW what you're thinking," he'd say, "so do you have a publisher yet for your gay u-boat crew novel?"

Guy knows me by now. :)

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Aleksandr wrote: "Richard - Oh hell, yes. My partner kept laughing at me as we were watching "Das Boot" and whenever Prochnow (the Captain/Der Alte) was on screen.

Guy knows me by now. :)"

So...do you, he asked, "heart" in hand?

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Oleg wrote: "Now you're just forcing me to come there and kick you until you write it."

Add some slapping and nipple-twisting from me, kthxbye

message 10: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Richard - it's definitely in the back of my head. I'm right now working on a book set in Paris in 1942,m and then there's one set in Eastern Prussia, but after that, I'm doing the "Waffengattungen" books, which might be novellas or full novels. U-boats are just sexy, and so are tanks and fighter planes.

Gimme a few months, this stuff takes time, sadly. I'd love to just download the books onto the computer, but the technology doesn't exist yet. (And first Dark Soul.)

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Linked novellas? The sexy adventures of the world's luckiest Nazi pig-bottom who survives all the services?

I might just burst before you get to this idea...whatever it ends up being....

message 12: by Aleksandr (last edited Dec 19, 2011 05:57AM) (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Oleg - You'll be fine. There's plenty of stuff of mine you haven't read. :)

Richard - That would be pretty unrealistic, and from what I'm gathering, the Nazis make perfect villains to the "average serving" man. So the evil guys are equally distributed between Gestapo, Party Members, SS, and the Enemy Forces (Brits, US, mostly).

Of course, being gay and serving in those places carries a constant risk, too. Gay soldiers very often found themselves sent to the Eastern Front - you know, at least those "Race Traitors" can "die for the Reich." It's all pretty shocking, but great stuff for books.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways It's all pretty shocking, but great stuff for books.

A truism so universal in application that it should be taught in all writing schools, movie-making schools, and literature courses.

Starting with the P.C. professors.

message 14: by Aleksandr (last edited Dec 19, 2011 06:11AM) (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Oh, I'm definitely going to get flak for humanizing the Germans, but then, I am German, so I feel I should tell the stories that haven't been told. Doesn't mean I'll turn into an apologist by any means, but "our" story is quite interesting, too, and makes for some amazing fiction. Curiously enough, it's impossible to sell anything WWII-related in Germany, so I'm telling those stories to the English-speaking readers.

Personally,I think as long as do your research and honor the "truth" (which is an approximation), almost nothing is really off-limits for a writer/artist. The only thing that really reaches beyond my abilities as a writer is the concentration camps and mass-murder of ethnic minorities. I'd never write about a camp guard, for example.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways I'd never write about a camp guard, for example.

I can see why. There are always limits, thank goodness; everyone sets their own, thank GOODNESS! I came up in a time when it was *completely*unthinkable* for "decent, God-fearing Christians" (aka the white people I'm related to) to think about, still less read about, or see on screen, men with men in any sexual or romantic context. It was beyond bad, it was Satanic and evil and even that big bully/god they were so scared of couldn't "forgive" it.

Codswallop, said (and say) I.

message 16: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Oleg - Well, humanizing the Finns is another challenge. :)

Richard - I'm an awowed atheist/agnostic, but I'm mostly on the same page with the wise man who said "I don't mind your Jesus Christus, it's his fans I often find hard to bear."

Basically, any religion that preaches love and acceptance but clearly relishes in death and destruction (I'm including other mono-theistic faiths here) deserves to be abolished, pronto. There's absolutely no moral ground to make anybody's life miserable in the name of an invisible sky fairy who may or may not exist. I mean, seriously? The Jesus they keep trying to sell me would have been the first to embrace an AIDS sufferer or marry two lesbians.

Lilli *slowest reader ever* I once got flak in university when daring to humanize a (Nazi-)German when analyzing a poem. That situation had an impact. It's still not easy in Germany to look at this period of time and take into consideration the shades of grey inbetween the black and white. But it's gotten better, imo.

Looking forward to these stories you want to write, Aleksandr!

As to your take on religion - I could have never put it in words the way you just did. Thank you! :)

I'm kind of sorry for chiming in to your conversation. I feel a bit like the odd duck now but I felt compelled to comment. ;)

message 18: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Lilli - you're always welcome.If we'd wanted a "closed" discussion, we'd have gone to email, so everybody's welcome.

Yeah, at school, even suggesting that some of our ancestors were anything less than evil and depraved amounted to heresy. IMHO that unbalanced approach prevents us from moving on in the first place - AND actually fuels the Neo Nazi groups which are sticking their ugly heads out every now and then.

message 19: by Aija (new)

Aija "I don't mind your Jesus Christus, it's his fans I often find hard to bear."

I guess I'm a bad Christian, but I totally agree. Every time I hear priests bashing homosexuals or Harry Potter books, I can't help thinking how narrow minded humans have made the Church. I still to the Mass, but use it only as a media between me and Him. 'Cause I truly believe that Jesus would be the first to accept and support those outcast by others. Hey, he already did!

('Kay, time to shut up. Could talk about this for hours.)

message 20: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Aija - exactly. But the really good Christians like you still get to suffer from the ignorance and hatred. I have several believing friends, but they are all morally just and lovely people, so for me it doesn't matter how exactly you arrive at being kind and generous, but BEING kind and generous matters.

message 21: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena I just read this awesome blog post today on this topic. Worth reading in it's entirety, although it has about 8000 comments by now, so that may be a bit much.

message 22: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Much, much truth.

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways "Use your voice to embolden the world. Use your voice to say, “enough is enough.” Use your voice to stand up and declare that there is no other way besides love."

I wish I was a better person. I wish I could forgive the horrors inflicted on me for being me. So far, at 51, I can't.

message 24: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Richard - nobody can blame you. There are thing I'll never forgive, either. I'm generally an optimist about human nature (despite the dark tone of my writing), but there are some scumbags walking the earth, and if you encounter one of those, I'm absolutely in favour of self-protection, whatever that may entail.