David's Reviews > It's Kind of a Funny Story

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read in December, 2011

We were almost done with the past semester when I was first introduced to this film. And maybe out of its relatability with my life as I ventured myself into the rabbit hole of college, I found this film a sure win for me. And after reading countless reviews and feedbacks, I then found out that this is actually adopted from a book by Ned Vizzini with the same name. That was when the quest of finding a copy of it started. I browsed through several bookstores but was all told that there are no more copies available. I thought I would be okay with that, having been contented only by just watching the film numerous times when I’m free, but I still get these urges of wanting to read it, at least even before this year pass. So yesterday evening, I finally succumbed and read the ebook copy of it (even as much as I hate doing so and having been pledged to read the printed word).

It’s kind of a funny story really caught me awestruck. It is a book honestly that has something to resemble with my life as a college student. I can even quite compare it to Stephen Chboksy’s The Perks of being a wallflower out of their significance and relation to what I have to go through, I mean with the psychological aspects of life. And this book is also a friendly read, the story is told in a humorous way, and next thing you’ll see is that you’re laughing through those parts as Craig Gilner deal with the schizophrenic, with the bipolar disorder and the sociopaths.

Plus the storyline ,it was brilliant and was beautifully crafted on it’s own. The romance along it, the teenage pressures, the stresses in school, the familial support, we’ve been through those things and I like the way how Ned Vizzini cropped them up together and makes us all reflect with them.

And most importantly, the insights and the learnings of the story. I like the way how it tackled depression in a way that I found myself realizing that there is indeed always an end to it. I mean, it’s just a phase after all, it’s part of the cycle of our lives. We go through things we never had anticipated, it will damage us, break us, and next thing we know, we are trapped into this depression. And the book taught me that it has to end and it will. there maybe no specific drug nor cure to it, but as long as we open our eyes, free ourselves from worries, focus on what we think will make us happy, that’s when depression will leave us. And suicide was never an option to every problem that we have to go through. We just have to have the guts, the courage and the initiative to fight it and ease it off of our lives.

Lastly, I sure am giving this 5/5 stars for it has been quite of a good journey with Craig and I may consider now becoming a Psych nurse in the future. We will see.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Kind of a Funny Story.