Eunice's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Wow! This book is just incredibly beautiful and absolutely awesome! This is not your typical angel kind of novel. The idea of angels in a post apocalyptic setting really did get my interest. The plot was uniquely cool, the world-building was amazing, the twists and actions were mind-boggling and the character were all kick-ass! I can almost say that this could be as good as the Hunger Games!

Penryn is a great character. She's strong, brave, kind, resourceful and loyal. She knows how to fight and it was amazing that she know a lot of martial arts yet she barely uses it unless she really needs it for her and her family's survival. She cares for her family very much, she'd do anything for them even if that means allying herself with an enemy. One thing I so notice about her that is quite different from most YA heroines is that she doesn't easily get distracted from her priorities even though she's with someone who is achingly gorgeous. Yes, she noticed that Raffe is devastatingly good looking but she doesn't actually fantasize on any romantic possibility between them yet. She does seem to care and had been really loyal to him though.

Raffe is an angel that was saved by Penryn when his wings were cut off. He's definitely mysterious. I was actually a bit surprised that he could actually make jokes and be sarcastic. From the most parts of the book it was clear that his only concern was just to get his wings back. He doesn't even seem to be grateful for Penryn saving him. That his and Penryn's partnership is just purely a partnership. That being friend with her is impossible. But during the last part some of his actions do indicate that he may have really cared for Penryn.

There's hardly any romance in this book. But I can say there could be a possibility. The relationship between Penryn and Raffe is more like companionship and friendship. I love to have a romance between the two but right now I like it just how the author is developing their relationship, slow but more believable.

There were those gruesome parts that made me cringe but also made me feel awed. Haha. Weird, I know. The description was vivid and it was appalling but somehow it has a positive effect on me. When I was reading it I felt like I was watching a movie. And it made me more curious and excited. The thing about Penryn's mom was also weird and creepy but I think there is really something more about it.

Everything that happened on the last part left me seriously craving for the next book. The way Ee wrote it was just really amazing. This is one hell of an awesome debut novel! I highly recommend this, everyone! A must read! :))

This review is also posted at Book Overdose

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

Quotes Eunice Liked

Susan Ee
“Here, I’ll show you how to use it. Let me see your foot.”
“That’s a pretty intimate demand in the angel world. It usually takes dinner, some wine, and sparkling conversation for me to give up my feet.”

Susan Ee
“It is not the gentle kiss of a couple on a first date, nor is it the kiss of a man driven by simple lust. He kisses me with the desperation of a dying man who believes the magic of eternal life is in this kiss.”

Susan Ee
“My friends call me Wrath,” says Raffe. “My enemies call me Please Have Mercy. What’s your name, soldier boy?”

12/20/2011
90.0% "OMG. I'm almost done. Raffeeee~!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Surin Awesome review! I'm gonna add this to my read list now :)

Eunice Thanks SL! Yes yes! Read this! One of the coolest dystopian I've ever read! Haha! Hope you enjoy this too! :DD

Wendy Darling I'm pretty sure we're going to see an awesome romance in the coming books, Eunice. ;) Nicely reviewed!

Eunice Thanks Wendy! Yes, I'm very much looking forward to it. Ahh~ Now that I think about it I'm getting more desperate, I want the next book now! >:DDD

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj Is this book really that good? I keep hearing about it everywhere! Do you know if it'll be published in paperback or hardcover?

Eunice Yes Arooj! Definitely one of my best reads ever. There will be a paperback release but I don't know exactly when. :))

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj K, I'll look out for it then!

♥Rachel♥ Glad to see you enjoyed this too, Eunice. :)

Eunice Thanks, Rachel! So excited for the next book. I miss Raffe! LOL >:DD

♥Rachel♥ Oh me too! I hope the romance heats up a bit in the next one. :)