Sofija's Reviews > Nightshifted

Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander

Jun 07, 12

Read from May 25 to June 07, 2012

It took me 14 days to finish this book. Considering that usually I spent 2 days per book, it wasn’t good sign for Nightshifted.

I was so excited to read it! It’s a story about hospital with vampires, werewolves and other paranormal creatures as patients. Imagine the possibilities for comical situations! And as a huge fan of every medical TV show, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this book.

description

After read a few pages I understood that there wasn’t going to be anything fun, light and exciting. Actually, it was very dark urban fantasy.

Edie always felt tired, depressed, lonely. And her mood spread to whole book like a disease.

description

I think that as a debut novel it was a success. Cassie Alexander has very pleasant writing style and her worldbuilding was detailed and unique.

Unfortunately, this just wasn’t my kind of book. I love my fantasy with a little more optimism in it.

I’ll still read the second installment of the series, but if it will go the same road as the Nightshifted I am going to leave it to readers who appreciate the dark feel of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshifted.

05/25/2012 page 28
8.0% ""I supposed I should be grateful to House M.D. I’d only been able to watch it until I’d started nursing school and actually hung around a hospital. After that, the idea of a doctor doing lab draws and hanging IV bags was preposterous. They didn’t even know how the pumps worked."" 2 comments
05/29/2012 page 90
26.0% "I like it so far, but Edie’s life is depressing. The last time I felt so much loneliness and estrangement from people was when I was reading the first Kate Daniels book."
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (last edited Jul 24, 2012 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan Sofija, I love this book :) You are right, it is darker than a lot of urban fantasy, but there is also some hope in it (view spoiler) It's been so long since reading a refreshing urban fantasy, this was just what I have been looking for! Sorry you didn't care for it, but I am glad you found it and reviewed it, otherwise I would have missed this one :)

Sofija I am glad you liked it. And it was very refreshing. I don't think there is another book about hospital for paranormal creatures. I just would have liked for it to be more concentrated on medical treatment of different species. It has so much potential. I hope the next book will bring it on.
I've read in one of your status updates that you are a nurse. So what is your professional opinion? Were the medical explanations and actions believable? :)))

message 3: by Megan (last edited Jul 24, 2012 02:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan You're right, there is a lot of potential for this series.

I thought the medical aspect of this book seemed realistic. As realistic as it can be when treating mythical creatures that is :) Except all of the nurses are empathetic towards Edie when she makes a mistake, and in the real world nurses tend to be very mean to new nurses ~ especially when they screw up. But I suppose that would make an even darker and more depressing novel, lol

The only thing I really didn't like about this is how devoted to her brother Edie is. We just didn't see enough of his character to explain why she still wants to be around him and continue a relationship with him. As much as he screws her over, she should have cut ties with him long ago.

Sofija Maybe the other nurses forgave Edie her screw ups because most of the patients there were immortals so in this hospital nurses have more than one chance to do everything right, lol

I didn't like Edie's brother either. Maybe I could have forgiven him if he really cared about her despite his other flaws. But when he found her obviously hurt and in distress he was only slightly concerned and didn’t even offer help.

From the synopsis of the second book I understand that there will be a new love interest for Edie. I hope the author won't choose the road where there will be someone new in the every next book.

Megan Interesting. I liked Ti, but could never get past him being a zombie, lol!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy Hasten Do you have any nurse books that are paranormal romances that are interesting??? I liked the Larissa Ione series and I want another one which was what I was hoping this would be...

Sofija Hi, Amy! Unfortunately I don't know any books about nurses((( Let me know if you will find any.