Christine's Reviews > American Born Chinese

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

F_50x66
Dec 18, 11

bookshelves: english-412-reviews

We have a monkey, who doesn’t want to be a monkey anymore because he can’t get into a heaven party. The new kid in town, Jim, who is doing his best to make friends and when he does that friend moves away. We have Danny, who has a cousin, who tends not to think of others and in turn caused Danny to have switched schools three times.
I think this is a great book and agree that it holds a great place in YA lit. I myself had a little trouble reading this because of tying the three stories together and pictures. I surprisingly have a hard time focusing when I am trying to read and it seems that pictures are more interesting to me. The drawings and the use of color in this graphic novel is great. I tend to shy away from graphic novels for the fact I said before…attention issues, but this one was exceptionally good in my opinion. I do think that this is a great YA book; it covers self-acceptance and loving what you already have. I think that some one of a younger age would not understand that concept whole heartedly. I think teens are so obsessed with their image that they lose sight of what it really important. However, I think this book would be a step in the right direction to help kids on that path. I think it would be an easy ready, and i think since kids are so trained to multitask, the bight colors and pictures would make them more intrigued to read this more. and it truly does cover a nice topic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Born Chinese.