Joseph's Reviews > Bitters: A Spirited History of a Classic Cure-All, with Cocktails, Recipes, and Formulas

Bitters by Brad Thomas Parsons

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: cookbook, reference, non-fiction
Read from April 01 to 03, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

To be fair, I'm not sure that bitters really merit their own book; large swaths of the book feel fairly redundant, especially given that most of the bitters and drink recipes are identical processes with different ingredients.

But, the book is beautiful, and Parsons makes me wish that I had the time, opportunity, and palate to walk in his footsteps. And that's really the bittersweet truth of the matter; I'm never going to try most of the bitters that he describes, and even if I did, I'm not so sure I'd really be able to differentiate among them. I love cocktails, but my ability to really appreciate their finer qualities is tenuous at best.

The funny thing about the book is that while the drink recipes look very appealing, it's highly doubtful that I'll ever make the effort to obtain the more obscure ingredients they call for. So it's the food recipes in the cocktail book that seem more likely to get used in my kitchen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitters.