Melissa 's Reviews > My Own Worst Frenemy

My Own Worst Frenemy by Kimberly Reid

Dec 21, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, teen-realistic-fiction, teen-mystery, battle-of-the-books-possibilities-f, teen-romance, with-reviews
Read from December 18 to 21, 2011, read count: 1

It wasn't Chanti's idea to become a scholarship student at Langdon, an exclusive private school. In fact, Chanti would have much rather gone to North with all of her friends, but after a bit of trouble over the summer her mother is insistent that she attend Langdon. It doesn't even take a full day for Chanti's dire predictions about Langdon to come true. Before the end of the day she has already made enemies of the headmistress and the most popular girl at Langdon. Just when she thinks things can't get worse, she is accused of stealing from students, and if that isn't bad enough she and fellow scholarship student Marco are both arrested for a series of home burglaries. Chanti knows she and Marco didn't do it, now she just has to prove it before she is sent to jail or worse.

Chanti is a likable and compelling character. It takes you a while before you get her whole story, but that doesn't stop you from liking her from the very beginning. She is smart, sassy, and extremely observant. You can't help but like her.

Bethanie, who is supposed to be a scholarship student too, but unexplainably has an enormous stash of cash. Bethanie was probably the most interesting of the supporting character, and you really want to know what is up with this girl and her family.

Marco is a sweet guy, who Chanti is obviously crushing on. While he is our leading man, there is a lot we don't know about his family.

The other characters are less well developed, and some of them are downright stereotypical. The rich mean girl, the mean head mistress, even the drugged up rich kid all make an appearance in the novel. Not that this is a bad thing, the familiar stereotypes will help readers fall in to this novel.

The mystery is well done, and definitely keeps you on your toes, and Reid does a superb job describing her characters and their environments. You could see Chanti's neighborhood and believe that it was a real place. The writing is wonderful.

Overall this is a great work of urban fiction that will undoubtedly appeal to mystery fans. I definitely have some teens I can't wait to recommend this book to.

Cautions for sensitive readers: Violence and reference to drug use.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Own Worst Frenemy.