Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: for-review, ya, sci-fi, jan12, fantasy, fairy-tales, 2012-ya-debut, read-in-2012
Read from January 07 to 09, 2012

Every once in a while, as story comes along that will completely take me by surprise. That will capture my attention and refuse to let go. Cinder is one of those stories. And I was quite apprehensive about reading it too. What with the fairytale story turned on its head and a cyborg taking the place of the Cinderella we all know and love.

But the thing is, Marissa Meyer isn’t retelling Cinderella at all. This is an entirely different story with some throwback moments to the original. But Cinder stands all by itself as a strong novel with an immensely well thought out plot, characters that are so vivid that you’ll either love and adore them or hate them with a fiery passion, and a setting that comes to life. I loved it!

Cinder is everything a reader could ask for in a heroine. She’s strong, snarky, has quite the attitude, but is also incredibly sweet and loving. She’s a cyborg, but she’s more human than her not-so-nice stepmother. Her relationship with her stepsister Peony is the backbone to the story and Cinder’s love for the young girl comes through in all of her actions.

The plague that threatens Cinder’s home of New Beijing is captivating. The scientists, the research, all of it ties into Cinder’s life and will surprise readers again and again. The growing tension between Cinder’s world and that of the manipulative Queen Levana is palpable from the first page, but the twists thrown in are entirely unexpected and had me unable to put the book down. Readers will be dying to know more about Cinder, about Prince Kai, about Queen Levana, about the plague, and about a past that no one seems to know about.

Cinder will capture all readers, despite it seeming to be targeted towards a sci-fi audience. It is a phenom of a book with so many surprised thrown in to keep readers on their toes, while also adding touches of a fairytale we all know. Marissa Meyer has created the first of what is sure to be an enthralling series that I’m dying to read more of.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.