marymurtz's Reviews > The False Friend

The False Friend by Myla Goldberg

Dec 18, 2011

liked it
Read in December, 2011

I couldn't figure out if I loved this book or hated it. I disliked the main character but felt immensely sorry for her. I kind of wanted to punch her in the face several times in the course of the book.

Celia Durst is in her thirties and walking into work when she is assailed by an emerging childhood memory of the disappearance of her best friend Djuna Pearson. Djuna was abducted when the girls were eleven years old, taken while they were with three other girls walking in the woods. Celia saw Djuna get into a brown car and nobody ever saw her again.

But the memory Celia has is an entirely different vision of Djuna's disappearance. She is shaken to her core and travels back to her hometown to tell the truth. In the course of trying to get someone, anyone, to believe her, she learns that not only her memory of Djuna's disappearance is faulty, but her memory of what kind of person she was and how wrong people were about her.

In uncovering how cruel and malicious she and Djuna had been to their friends, Celia has to face a terrible truth about herself while trying to figure out which version of Djuna's disappearance is true and which is a lie. By the end, even Celia is unsure.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Friend.

Jennifer Berger Ha! I wanted to punch her in the face too.