Kathy Jackson's Reviews > Wolf Hunt

Wolf Hunt by Jeff Strand

Apr 26, 12

bookshelves: related
Read from December 18, 2011 to April 24, 2012 — I own a copy

Barnes and Noble has the following for the book:

Two thugs. One innocent woman. And one VICIOUS frickin’ werewolf.

Meet George and Lou, thugs for hire. The kind of intimidating-yet-friendly guys who will break your thumbs, but be polite about it.

Their latest assignment is to drive across Florida to deliver some precious cargo to a crime lord. The cargo: a man in a cage. Though Ivan seems perfectly human, they’re warned that he is, in fact, a bloodthirsty werewolf.

George and Lou don’t believe in the supernatural, but even if they did, it’s daytime and tonight isn’t the full moon. Their instructions are straightforward: Do not open the cage. Do not reach into the cage. Do not throw anything into the cage. And they don’t.
Unfortunately, Ivan doesn’t play by the usual werewolf rules, and the thugs find themselves suddenly responsible for a ferocious escaped beast. One who can transform at will. One who enjoys killing in human form as much as he enjoys killing as a monster.

If George and Lou want to save their careers, dozens of people, and their own lives, they need to recapture him. Because Ivan the werewolf is in the mood for a murder spree…

From Jeff Strand, the three-time Bram Stoker Award nominated author of PRESSURE, comes this action-packed, blood-soaked tale of werewolf terror!

*********

Strand does an excellent job defining and playing with George and Lou’s characters. You absolutely love them and find it almost easy to forget that they are actually thugs. Ivan the Werewolf is a smart ass, over-confident douche-bag that you hope will get his com-uppins in the end.

Michelle was a pretty worthless character – I think she was basically added in to appeal to the women who might read the book. Most women don’t read books that are devoid of feminine wiles. She wasn’t all that likeable and I really didn’t care too much about what happened to her.

Ivan loves to play games so makes his pursuit and his fleeing into games where there can be either a good or bad outcome for the thugs. When Ivan loses any bet, he is sure to point out that not only is he a werewolf but also a big liar.

The banter between Lou and George makes me laugh out loud in several areas even while they are bleeding almost to death – though Lou does promise to give George a five minute warning if he plans to bleed to death anytime soon.

Written well and with little extra flair one doesn’t need for a good story, Strand does fabulously. I loved this book!!! It was 640 pages long yet seemed like maybe 200. I can’t believe it went so fast! Shining is about that and it took me over a week to read it!

This will not be my last Jeff Strand book – I have another one now called “Dweller”. It looks like it will be good as well – though I plan to wait to read it for a while. I easily give Wolf Hunt an A+!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf Hunt.

12/18/2011 page 189
56.0% "OMG - this book is hilarious!!!"
12/18/2011 page 295
88.0% "There are over 600 pages to this book, not 338. Ugh, why can't Goodreads ever get it right???"