Becky's Reviews > Happy Birthday to Me Again

Happy Birthday to Me Again by Brian  Rowe

1978609
Jan 09, 12

Read from December 18, 2011 to January 08, 2012

I was sent this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.
I read book 1 and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, I then had to put this book by as I concentrated on NaNoWriMo and then Christmas took over and well, I got distracted, only just getting back to it.
Even though it had been a couple of months since reading the first one, I could remember who everyone was and a lot of what had happened. You could read this book on it's own, but it makes much more sense and is much more enjoyable if you've read the other one first.
Cameron is happy to be alive and fit, after the disastrous events of the last year he couldn't be more sure that living his life to the fullest is the right thing to do, so at Christmas he proposes to Liesel, he may only be 18 but he's lived to be much older and knows you have to cherish all you have.
However when he goes out with Liesel just days before the wedding his nerves get the better of him and he ends up calling it off. In a fit of rage she yells at him to stop being a 'baby', little does she know she has just set off another curse, this time Cameron is going backwards, losing one year of his life every day.
He thought last year was bad enough but at least he had months ahead of him, now he has less than 3 short weeks to reverse it. And even worse Liesel disappears so she can't fix it.
I was surprised by how exciting, sensitive and emotional the first book was, but when I heard about this I wasn't sure how the author would get it to work, especially when the book starts from Cameron's point of view inside the body of a 1 year old. I thought 'come on! Really?' but I decided to go with it, and to be honest I found myself enjoying the story again.
This book has quite a few laugh out loud moments, I laughed when his voice changed in the other direction so he sounded high and squeaky and had to borrow his little sisters clothes.
I like Cameron a lot better in this book, he has learnt his lesson and I could relate to him more. He had the odd moment when I wanted to slap him and tell him he was being stupid but mostly he was someone I liked.
Liesel is more of a mystery in this book, Cameron is trying to discover more about her past, but she won't tell, It got me trying to figure out what she was hiding or was afraid of. I never expected what it turned out to be.
There were a couple of 'eugh, gross' moments that could scare younger children and certainly had me turning my nose up and grimacing.
I was once again pulled into the story and found myself enjoying it, I ended up reading the whole book in one evening, took me about 3 and a bit hours.
Intrigued to see where the final part takes us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Birthday to Me Again.

12/27/2011