Greg's Reviews > Adventures in the Skin Trade

Jun 25, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, short-stories
Read in June, 2008

Me feel dumb reading stories in book. Me do not like feeling dumb, so me give book two stars... The book begins and ends with stories that are very absurdly British. They could have possibly shown up somewhere in Waugh, or maybe K. Amis early body of work. They could have also shown up in something later like B.S. Johnson and not felt out of place. They were good like that. All of the filer stories though I couldn't make heads of tails of. I think not being Welsh added to my confusion. They all take place near something called Jarvis, they have characters that are in multiple stories. Sometimes these characters are dead sometimes they aren't, or maybe they aren't dead or aren't alive. I don't know. They are very poetic, but poetic but a teenager with a great lyrical grasp and excellent imagery but who lives to throw dirty dirty things in when he feels action should be happening (or is it happening?). I don't know what the hell's going on actually in any of these stories, except there may or may not be dead people, and witches and illicit fucking. Or maybe not. I don't get it, and I felt like I was reading just to get done with the book, but I'm sure it's just my dumbness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adventures in the Skin Trade.