Sara's Reviews > Now They Call Me Infidel: Why I Renounced Jihad for America, Israel, and the War on Terror

Now They Call Me Infidel by Nonie Darwish

F_50x66
Aug 26, 08

Read in August, 2008

Very pro-American/anti-Islam book. It is interesting to hear a former Arab speak out so passionately against their culture that breeds terrorists. If nothing else, it will make you feel better about being an American.

I also have to say that I read this book while I was studying Isaiah. All of a sudden Isaiah makes a lot more sense.......

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Now They Call Me Infidel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greyweather (last edited May 04, 2010 07:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greyweather Very pro-American? Yes. Pro-Israel too.
An anti-Islam book? I disagree.

Darwish make it very clear that she still considers herself a Muslim. She plainly states in the book that she feels Islam has humanitarian values and that the elements of peace and inner struggle described by Muslim scholars do exist in the Koran.

Islam is not presented as the problem; rather it is the radical clerics and totalitarian governments who are manipulating Islam for political ends, enabled by inaction of the "silent majority" of moderate Muslims, and protected by the outdated and destructive tenets of Sharia law and anti-Western propaganda.

She makes it quite clear that she thinks that Islam is in need of the kind of reform Christianity experienced in the past in order to lift the Muslim people out of the cycle of poverty, oppression, and violence that pervades the Middle East. It is reform from within, not subjugation or conversion, that she sees as the path for her people.