Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea's Reviews > Denying AIDS: Conspiracy Theories, Pseudoscience, and Human Tragedy

Denying AIDS by Seth C. Kalichman

Dec 18, 11

bookshelves: activism, aids, conspiracism, journalism, science
Read in December, 2011

what an incredible book. i wish i had read it back in 2005 when i helped put on a demonstration against a film being screened called "the other side of aids"--an aids denialist film claiming that hiv does not cause aids and then further that hiv does not exist. (According to them, what kills people then? poverty, drug use, (homo)sexuality, but absolutely not AIDS!) This was followed up by a film screening of people fighting for aids and hiv to be recognized by the government and scientific establishment with discussion. Around this time an aids denialist in San Francisco found out about our demo and film screening in chicago and proceeded to contact me via email to convince me that my idea was all wrong. Then after i asked that he stop sending me emails, he went online and started digging, found my phone number, and called me. I proceeded to let him talk to me for an hour where some of my favorite questions were asked: who is paying you to do this? how much are they paying? are you apart of the aids establishment conspiracy? Real wacko stuff. I hung up on him eventually, but i gave him some time to vent out his message, which i didn't really hear. This book does an amazing job of telling the history of aids denial-ism while pointing out some of the notable trouble makers. Really well written, very accessible, astoundingly common sense approach where the author does a great job of explaining the patterns of conspiracism coupled with concrete examples of those patterns used by the aids denialists. These same identified patterns, tactics, and rhetoric can be applied to other conspiracies. Does an amazing job of debunking the flat-earthers and successfully puts their "movement" in its place--the dust bin. Extraordinary job. Hats off. Read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Denying AIDS.