Heidi-Marie's Reviews > Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid

Jun 18, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, fractured-fairy-tale, series, ya-12-19
Read from March 19 to 21, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Awful!!! I am highly irked by this retelling. Clever and interesting, yes. But....errrrrrrr. I prefer that authors do not--after establishing two love interests who actually have a background and a friendship (and not just passionate kissing and physical longing)--introduce some other characters halfway through the book and force them to be the intended love interests. I'm sorry, but I spent the whole book not liking Faye or Kale and still think James and Pearl belong together. You don't suddenly make her question what her feelings are (especially when you were keep aiming James and Pearl together almost to the end of the book!!!) and suddenly put in someone else who was her fiance "all along" and her best friend THEN--13 years ago! So the ten years Pearl and James had together is nothing compared to the 4 between Pearl and Kale? And we'll make all of that OK because suddenly Pearl will remember her past? Or that James will just admit it's ridiculous but still love and propose to Faye? Unh-uh. No. I'm sorry. Better writing might have persuaded me that the couples who ended together at the end were better for each other. But nope. Didn't get that. Ug. I am just going to re-write this book in my head and end it as I feel it should have ended. And yes, I know why I feel so strongly about this. Maybe at another time in my life I wouldn't have minded so much. But I really mind now.

This would have been 1 star just because of the outcome--and a lot of the plot "development" that got it to its conclusion. But I gave it one more star because it was interesting and still had me curious and reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Pearls.