Rebecca's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Dec 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, horror, romance, young-adult
Read in December, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Clary Fray has no idea she has the 'sight' until one night she sees some strange people killing a demon at a nightclub, then rushes home to find her mother has been kidnapped by a demon. Seems there were some things her mother didn't tell Clary about who she really was, and now Clary is deeply involved in the world her mother tried to keep her out of--the world of the Shadowhunters--the demon-killers--and the other inhabitants of the Shadow world, like werewolves and vampires. As if that weren't enough, Clary is caught between two guys; the stunningly gorgeous but irritating and enigmatic Shadowhunter Jace, and the long-time 'mundane' friend Simon. Oh, and they have to save the world. Or at least start to, because this is the first book of a trilogy.

This is a wildly popular series and I thought I'd like it better than I did. I loved Clare's fanfiction (particularly the humorous entries in the Very Secret Diaries), so I knew she could write, and there's nothing wrong with the writing here, and the worldbuilding is good and the characters are well done. It's a very Buffy world, and I loved Buffy, but for me, there was just something missing here. I don't like dark worlds with demons, and what made Buffy work for me was the repartee and the friendships, and I think that was just not really present here--it was too dark for me. Also, I am so over the irritating, enigmatic, gorgeous boy, because you know nothing good will come of associating with him. I guess I'm not a teenager anymore! And, spoiler alert, there's a very Star Warsian solution to the triangle, at least in this book. My favorite line in the book was when Clary was looking at her old backpack with all the fantasy/sf-connected buttons Simon gave her, and one says, "Still not king." That's a line from Aragorn's VSD, and only those who had read Clare's fanfiction would get it. I like a little nod to those in the know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.