Maria Violante's Reviews > Thieves at Heart

Thieves at Heart by Tristan J. Tarwater

Dec 18, 11

Thieves at Heart, by Tristan J. Tarwater, is a skillfully written, well-pondered fantasy memoir-of-sorts, following the rescue and coming of age of a young female thief by the name of Tavera. Please note that given some of the language and situations involved, it’s not appropriate for children or most young adults.

My complaints with the book were few. At times, the writing gets a little unwieldy – uber-long sentences and the occasional awkward passage. Some of the transitions are clumsy. And yup, that’s about it. Grammatically, the book is quite sound, and as far as the writing goes, it’s fairly superb – excellent consistency of POV, enthralling (and often cute) inner dialogues, bright pinches of humor and action.

Tarwater creates a fantasy world that is rich and complex, a “similar to ours” place that has been well-thought out enough to include things like a goddess-centered religion and a variety of card games. (Squee, I want to learn to play some of these!) You can really smell the dirt and feel the breeze.

The characters are well-drawn, well-rounded, and as a result, well-loved – although perhaps none so loved as Tavera, the protagonist, as it really is her story. We watch her grow up through her own eyes, blooming from a child pickpocket into an accomplished young woman of a thief, as she struggles with the same things that many of us dealt with growing up – abandonment, morality, achievement, loyalty.

Overall Rating: 4.6 Stars. Although not my usual cup of tea, the book was engaging, entertaining, well-written, and heartwarming. I hope for a review copy of the next in the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thieves at Heart.