Maria Violante's Reviews > Out of Nowhere

Out of Nowhere by Ryan Krauter

Dec 18, 11

I'm kind of divided on this book. The formatting is good, with very few errors throughout the manuscript. The Author has an excellent command of grammar and a writing style that is direct and succinct, (although the POV slips in points) and there are moments of dialogue that genuinely had me cracking up. The storyline has an Ender's Game feel to it, a move that I like (once I had really adapted to it).

At the same time, I think that the people were slightly flat at times, and by that, I mean that they were dealing with some huge issues here, obstacles and circumstances that would be incredible amounts of pressure, and their actions seemed somehow out of scale with the situation. While they were frustrated or uncomfortable, I feel like they rebounded far too easily from the emotional distress and setbacks that they were subjected to. Nobody really blew up or broke down; while I may not want my novel to be as bad as an episode of the Real Life (or whatever that reality tv show is called), I also want my characters to have true emotional depth - especially when they're teenagers.

Some of the lack of tension on that front was mitigated by a developing love triangle, a device that I thought was utilized fairly well by Krauter. The novel, although sci-fi, is extremely character-driven, with the real story being the relationship between the three major protagonists, and I was surprised by how maturely all of them handled their emotions.

One of my favorite parts of the novel involved a real - life version of an on - line game. The idea itself just sparkled with novelty and the kind of "oh-I-wish-I-could-do-that" fun that I love to read about in science fiction.

Oh, and the ending? Excellent. I look forward to finding out what happens in the future for these kids.

Overall Rating: 3.8 stars. While not life-changing, Out of Nowhere is entertaining and cozy, perfectly suited to a lazy morning with some sunshine and a cup of tea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Nowhere.