kathryn's Reviews > The Man Who Loved Children

The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead

Dec 18, 2011

Recommended to kathryn by: John Waters
Read in December, 2011

i actually did not read this version with the randall jarrel introduction-doris lessing did the intro in my version. i would like to read randall jarrell's introduction though. and i digress.

i liked this book a lot-it came to me from a list of books recommended by John Waters in his memoir. While reading Man who loved children I read a few things about it and about Christina Stead, including a review in the NYTimes by Jonathan Franzen who really liked this book. It is painful to read at times-cringingly good-this family is nuts-predominantly the father. The mother is too..but she recognizes that he is bonkers and has no concept of human nature, human politics, or being human. he has this lofty ideas of what it means to be part of society and how it should work, but he is incredibly naive and blind to the torture he puts his family through.

the basic plot is of this family of many children and their life in the late thirties up to the 40s-I don't believe we enter WWII, but there is reference to war making materials but the rest of the world, the country, doesn't enter the book at all because this family, and this father is sooo much in his own world and the children are left to orbit him and his madness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Loved Children.