Yvensong's Reviews > Bound by Fire

Feb 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, fantasy
Read from January 15 to February 12, 2012 , read count: 1

I won this through Goodreads Giveaway!

This novel is full of action and fairly fast-paced. The main characters are well-developed and interesting to follow. The relationships between the main characters are complex, with positive and negative aspects.

Unfortunately, there were issues that detracted from my full enjoyment of the book. The "villains" weren't so well-developed. Motivations of several characters were very unclear, leaving far too much ambiguity to the story. And, finally, one of my personal bugaboos -- editing issues.

There were several typos, missing words, doubled-up words, and in one case -- a minor character's name changed two pages after the character was introduced. I know that it can be exciting to get one's first novel published, but I sure wish that new novelist's would use beta readers, at the very least, to catch most the errors before putting into final print.

I do believe this writer has lots of potential, as he does tell an interesting story and seems to have a good handle on the fantasy genre. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for an entertaining, action-packed story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound by Fire.

01/19/2012 page 104