Betsy's Reviews > Maine

Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan

Dec 18, 11

Read in December, 2011

This book read like a meandering daydream, wandering here and there amongst the lives of 4 women in the Kelleher family. It was interesting in that it showed the various life views from the perspective of each of the women and demonstrated how each person's view can vary greatly from another person's view of themselves and others. It also demonstrates how these different viewpoints can cause misunderstanding between people. Other than that though, not a whole lot actually happens in this book and then even when the characters do end up in the same place and interact with eachother, still, not much happens. The back stories, particularly the one of the matriarch, Alice were more interesting and perhaps could have been better books on their own. The book also ends rather abruptly. I haven't read what other reviewers have said about the ending, but I for one didn't feel that it fit with the story and was really strange. It was almost as if the author said "Ahh, I've got my word count. Daydream over."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maine.