Robert Lomas's Reviews > The Black Cloud

The Black Cloud by Fred Hoyle

Dec 18, 11

bookshelves: kindle-stuff
Read in September, 2011

Fred Hoyle was one of the most engaging writers about science to emerge during the twentieth century. A blunt Yorkshire man, educated at Bingley Grammar School, he went on to be a leading astronomer at Cambridge University. He wrote many books explaining his scientific theories about astronomy but occasionally he let his imagination run riot in a series of science fiction novels. This story about a group of astronomers who discover a major threat to life on Earth, how they react to this knowledge and how they struggle to warn mankind, is a classic tale of science versus politics from a man who understood both disciplines.

I first read this book as a young physicist and found it gripping. The science is flawless and frighteningly possible, The scientists are the type of characters I recognize from my time as an undergrad learning the trade of science. The remorseless sequence of consequences is as chilling today as when it was first written.

Although I still have a battered, and much loved, paper copy of The Black Cloud on my bookshelf I was delighted to be able to download it onto my Kindle, so that I can return to enjoy it on train journeys or when sitting on the beach.

For me the Kindle has replaced the pulp Sci-Fi magazines I bought with my weekly pocket money and wish I had kept! The fact I can also download Sci-Fi classics into this robust and highly portable format adds to the attraction.

If you haven't already read this story about the sort of men who discovered how the universe works then I encourage you to treat yourself to a Kindle copy of this Fred Hoyle classic and enjoy its insight into the mind of great scientist when he let his imagination run wild.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Cloud.