Cole Riann's Reviews > Beautiful Harmony

Beautiful Harmony by S.J. Frost

Jan 26, 2012

bookshelves: brief-encounters-reviews, m-m-series, m-m-short, m-m-holiday, m-m-musicians-rockers, m-m-contemporary
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 01, 2012

Review posted at Brief Encounters Reviews.

The Conquest series has been my favorite series of rockstars since Jesse met Evan in the very first book, and I was more than excited to read this short story that starts just a few months after Kyler and Robbie finally said goodbye to their incredibly tumultuous and at times torturous relationship and hello to a happy, domesticated life. Now it is Christmas morning and Kyler has woken up early to surprise Robbie with a very special, and snowy, Christmas morning.

I really enjoyed this short story, that is not only delightfully steamy in it’s own right, but so sweet, and therefore inherently different from most of Black Heart Down, where we see Kyler and Robbie’s very rocky relationship for the first real time. Though I know most of my enjoyment of Beautiful Harmony comes from knowing the couple so well from their previous novel, there’s something really deliciously sweet about seeing what feels like the real ending to their story, almost like an epilogue to the novel, because the most of their long history was very painful to read. They’ve had a very, very hard life together (and frequently apart), with Robbie pining for Kyler and being pissed at him what seemed like most of the time, to Kyler taking decades to admit to himself that it is really okay to be attracted to men. So having this sweet and loving story is a perfect ending to their relationship and a really nice way to meet up with the couple again so many months after Black Heart Down.

It really is necessary to have read the series before this story (at least BHD) because not only is there so much history to Rob and Ky’s relationship, but without having seen what the couple were once like, this story could come off as incredibly cheesy. Yet, all the gooey talk worked for me because it showed that the couple had gotten to a point where they’d left the turbulent emotions and fights behind and allowed themselves to sink into a kind of domestic bliss that is independent of their rocker lifestyles. There are a lot of other little things that I loved in the story as well — the way that we see all the old stars and supporting cast from the previous books brought into the story, as well as the mention that Brad is now the only member of the bands not coupled up (I can’t wait for that book!).

SJ Frost is an author that writes books I always seem to fall right into, and this series continues to remain my very favorite when I want to read about some bad boys learning to be good (oh man, now that was cheesy!) But you know what I mean :)

Happily rated a B+!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Harmony.