Holly's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Dec 09, 12

Read on December 09, 2012

I really like the heroine from these books. Unlike so many YA leading ladies, she isn't a big, lovesick, idiot. She has flaws, but they are realistic. She is smart and capable and she actually GETS THINGS DONE. It's such a relief to read about a girl who isn't making all the decisions in her life based around her boyfriend. This girl has her priorities in order, and I like it. Plus, she doesn't miss all these glaringly obvious clues about what is happening around her, like a lot of other main characters. She doesn't know EVERYTHING, but she utilizes the information given to her. It makes the story suspenseful, without being uselessly frustrating.
It's also refreshing to see the character in real pain. I know that sounds sadistic, but I don't mean that I enjoy her pain, I just mean that I enjoy the REALNESS of her pain. She isn't all whiny because she didn't see her boyfriend for two days or because "gosh darn it, life is unfair! Waaaa!" She experiences real grief (well, what I imagine to be real, having never felt it myself)and deals with it in a way that makes me believe she isn't a perfect person, but simply a person. The best books are the ones with characters that you can relate to. It makes it so much easier to put yourself into the story. Veronica Roth does a great job of creating empathy with the main character. This was a great sequel and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.