Mel's Reviews > Angel

Angel by Elizabeth Taylor

Dec 18, 11

bookshelves: 20th-century-fiction
Read in December, 2011

At a second hand book shop in Camden I found they had a huge selection of random Virago books and this was one of the ones I got, it was the story about a eccentric British woman novelist born in 1885 who writes big exotic romances and is very loosely based on Marie Corelli. I thought it sounded quite fun and it was interesting. It reminded me a little of Claudine, the main character Angel was SO sure of herself, even when others thought she was absurd she was totally oblivious. It was the kind of self belief that was very re-assuring even if it did make her vain and terribly lonely. The story covered Angel's discovery of writing at the age of 15 and her success and riches and then the inevitable doomed marriage and falling into debt and poverty. What made the story more interesting was that towards the end Angel seemed much happier. The poverty didn't matter to her as she'd had her success and money and tended to remember everything with rose coloured glasses. She had a best friend she lived with for 30 years, whose brother she married. There was a lot of not very disguised lesbian leanings from the sister, she was described as masculine to the point of having a moustache and her brother once got drunk and said how much his sister was in love with Angel. I found I did enjoy this story (which was oddly written only 2 years earlier than the Asimov) I liked the characters much more than I probably should have, while they were all quite flawed they were also very sympathetic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel.