Kate's Reviews > Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha

Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach

Dec 18, 11

I own a copy

I think the perceptions of this book are directly related to the suffering and innate self hatred that the reader possesses. When the concept of lovingkindness is absolutely foreign to you then this book can save your life.

Something I absolutely cherish about this book is kind and gentle repetition. I would read a concept and compartmentalize it as something I either had heard before, already knew, or couldn't possibly work. Then she'd reintroduce the same concept with a case study, a personal example or simply restated. Eventually even my stubborn mind was able to accept and hear the message it was trying so hard to avoid and reject.

Along those same lines the author seemed to anticipate my mental rejection of the concepts. She would directly confront rationalizations, sarcastic comments or undermining doubts in a way that clearly demonstrated she understood the problems faced by her readers.

The most profound impact that this book had was not while I was reading it but later, when I would try and become frustrated at being unable to implement it's teachings. I would chastise myself or the book or ideas and suddenly become aware that I was falling into a pattern explicitly detailed here and given instructions on how to unravel the habits I had become so used to.

That is not to imply that this book is a cure all for deep, debilitating issues but it's a really excellent introduction to thought processes and patterns that we each are so lacking -- particularly those most dramatically affected by mental disorders or severe depression / anxiety / self-hatred.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radical Acceptance.