Samantha's Reviews > Attachments

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Dec 29, 11

bookshelves: general-fiction, chick-lit
Read from December 27 to 28, 2011

1999. The year of Y2K craziness and before everyone and their mother had portable computers and almost constant access to the internet. With technology taking off, most companies began scrambling to find ways to monitor their employees' computer activity. Fear of slacking off at work and using company time for illicit things made many employers hire IT people to monitor the worker's online activity.

Lincoln is one of those IT people. His job consists of basically three things; reading red flagged e-mails, fixing the occasional computer problem, and being bored out of his mind. He hates his job. The late hours and reading other people's e-mails makes him feel like a voyeuristic troll. Despite his aversion to the job, he can't help but enjoy reading the red flagged e-mail exchanges between Jennifer and Beth.

Beth is a quick-witted movie critic and Jennifer is a paranoid editor who works at the local Iowa newspaper. They e-mail each other constantly throughout the work day about their personal lives and office gossip. The story alternates between Lincoln's story and the e-mails between Beth and Jennifer. Lincoln eventually develops a crush on Beth despite never having seen her and eventually travels topside in the company to try to figure out which of the reporters she is.

This is a pretty sweet story. I was a little leery about it at first since the plot sounded like it could venture into creepy stalker territory. However, luckily I never got that vibe from Lincoln. His interest in Beth always just felt like a crush you'd get on an oblivious co-worker. The e-mail reading was handled really well.

Lincoln was definitely the highlight of this story for me. Still reeling from his break-up with his longtime girlfriend, Lincoln took the job in the IT department thinking of it as something temporary until he figured out what to do with his life. Incredibly shy, Lincoln has a hard time branching out and meeting new people. He has his small group of friends and family that he keeps close, but otherwise isolates himself from the rest of the world. Throughout the novel, we get to see him build up his confidence and find direction in life.

In contrast to Lincoln, is Beth who is outgoing and doing a job she loves. We only get to know Beth through her e-mails with Jennifer. At times throughout the story, this annoyed me. While I enjoyed the e-mails, I wanted to know more about Beth and Jennifer than what you could get through their correspondence. Both of their characters were great and I got sucked into their individual stories. Beth with her emotionally unavailable musician boyfriend and Jennifer's paranoia about getting pregnant. I would have liked to have see a couple of chapters from their points of view interspersed throughout the novel.

All in all, this was a pretty fast and light read. I would recommend it to people who enjoyed Bridget Jones's Diary, Meg Cabot's non-young adult books, and Jennifer Crusie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Attachments.