Teemu's Reviews > The Easter Parade

The Easter Parade by Richard Yates

Dec 26, 2011

liked it
Read from December 20 to 26, 2011

Yates writes well but The Easter Parade seemed rushed, twenty years was far too long period to follow the characters - it just made the narrative unfocused as it seemed the push through all the developments without concentrating on any particular moment. I sincerely believe novels are at the best when concentrating on a relatively short period of time.

I also feel that the novel didn't answer the promise I gave on the very first sentence: I didn't feel the lives of the sisters were that grim, the chose what the chose - this is probably because I didn't get a good hang of the characters, they were left a bit too one-dimensional while rushing through the history. What I didn't like at all was the few scenes where people developed charasteristics out of thin air, one became a druck, the other wife-beater and so forth. This isn't very consistant or logical characterization.

The biggest problem is probably that both Emily and Sarah lack a reason, some inner motivation to go on, like Paris was with the Wheelers in the Revolutionary Road. Emily and Sarah just go through their lives wanting nothing.

I prefer Revolutionary Road to this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Easter Parade.