mark monday's Reviews > Fright Flight

Fright Flight by Lisa Ard

131922
Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: kidworld

this is a pleasant and enjoyable little fantasy for kids, involving adventures in dreamland. apparently the first in a series, this episode takes our boy hero on an adventure in Rocket Space as he fights off enemies trying to get in the way of a Very Important Political Meeting. strangely enough, Mom turns up as a Commander - but our hero does not seem to mind Mom being a part of his adventures. an unusual lad! i plan on reading this to my younger nephew during the holidays to see what he thinks. i think Andre will like it, particularly as he is also an unusual lad.

the illustrations are simple and rather wonderful.

two things:

- the main flaw is that Patrick, the 12-year old hero, does not really talk like a 12-year old. at times he sounds distinctly younger than his age (which is why i think Andre may specifically appreciate this one) and many other times he talks like he is several years older, using phrases i've never heard from a kid that age. this flaw is not a deal-breaker and will hopefully be corrected in future volumes. and i should probably consult with my older nephew Damon to see if i am actually right about this. who knows. he will probably correct me simply for the joy of correcting me, a family trait.

- the main attraction is (as another reviewer mentions) the basic premise of Lucid Dreaming. that is a marvelously rich and fertile place to start a series. there are so many possibilities when looking at dreams on their own, so many adventures that can happen. and when lucid dreaming is integral to these adventures, they become so much more interesting, the possibilities multiply. i thought the best parts of Fright Flight involved Patrick taking control of his adventures. will future adventures have Patrick changing his dreams, moving into other dreams, integrating even more features from his reality? only time will tell. anyway, great concept, Lisa Ard!

oh and since i mentioned him, here is a picture of Andre after a bad spill - one that i am sure he will be positively un-thrilled to see when i show it to him again in a couple days... enjoy the cuteness now, before he forces me to take it down:

andre_cast

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fright Flight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by karen (new)

karen a bad spill indeed!

mark monday indeed! but recovery was fine, not traumatic, and he is as good as new these days. but that will probably be the last time he experiments with playing on a treadmill. kids are too curious!

message 3: by karen (new)

karen at least he got some cheerios out of the deal...

mark monday in my family, that is called "spoiling". i suppose he deserved to get something enoyable out of the accident, and a break from oatmeal, bran muffins, vegetable sticks, and other so-called food items that the fam likes to pass off as "breakfast".

message 5: by karen (new)

karen wow. i would throw myself off a treadmill for a reprieve from that kind of bluck.

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie My brother was in one of those casts as a kid.

mark monday what landed him in his kid-sized body cast?

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie A car, when he was five. First time taking his bike out in the street backfired. He was in traction for three months and a body for six. He had to learn to walk all over again.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark cute indeed but not cutesy poo I would venture to guess

message 10: by mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

mark monday certainly not! well, maybe just a little, sometimes.